Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The wiring Octopuss has been slain...

Finally accomplished the task of wiring this monster... The key switch has been wired, fuse block has been implemented, head light and tail light as well.

After much prodding, Mike finally made an appearance. First we discussed testing the head light that I couldn't get to light the night before, and found both the high and low beams to be functional, it was just a bad ground that I had assumed was good. Then I walked him through the wiring that I had run last night. He found nothing wrong with what I had run, which provided me with a great deal of relief. He then started speaking a language I couldn't understand and wanted me to wire the key switch differently and bypass the fuse block and then feed back through the fuse block or something of that nature and it all became very confusing for me because his ideas did not match the wiring schematic in front of me, which is my only hope for tracing a problem. So we butted heads for a bit and then he gave in to my need for black and white, and you can't fix something that ain't broke. So we agreed to disagree for the moment and possibly run the switch differently later, damn electricians seem to be speaking in tongues sometimes and I don't have an interpreter. Mike proceeded to go back to his house alarm installation and left me to sink or swim.

It didn't take me long to finish what had been started the night before. I hooked it all up with only one minor error that was quickly noticed, I had not thought it through properly to realize that the hot wire to the key switch has to be "isolated"... If you don't isolate the hot wire what good is the switch...? duh...

After making sure the key switch, head light and tail lights all work, I proceeded to adjust the brake switch. I then moved onto the task of adjusting the points, and what a task that was... Working with the screws, that looked to be original for this bike and hardly had any meat left on them to allow the screwdriver to bit into, turned out to be quite a chore, involving the removal of two of the screws and robbing a washer from one location that didn't need it as much as the slotted adjuster screw does. I gapped the points to .014 +/- .002

By this time I was anxious to kick this baby over, but before I could do so I had to install the exhaust pipe that Mike had welded for me last week. I looked her over once again to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything and decided she was ready...

It took me a little while of kicking to figure out that one of the plug wires had been knocked off the coil so I put that back on and kicked for a while longer trying to figure out which position the choke was suppose to be in. She finally came to life and I kept trying to give her more throttle but she bogged each time I did. Then it dawned on me that the choke might still be on, and with the flip of the choke lever she settled right down and became very responsive to the grip on the throttle.

Man... what a sense of accomplishment.

Tomorrow nights task is to get the clutch unstuck... the only thing keeping me from taking her for a ride.

No comments: