Monday, July 14, 2008

Wiring breakthrough...

I was finally able to comprehend enough of the wiring schematic in order to wire it starting backwards from the tail light.

Yesterday, while at Harbor Freight I purchased a package of electrical probes including a continuity tester, at least that way I can figure out how the key switch works and which terminals are for what, that helped out a great deal. I also tested the toggle kill switch only to find out it's a three-way toggle but only two ways work, good thing I didn't take it for granted that it works and wire it up only to add to my frustration of wondering why some of the wiring works and some don't.

Now that I figured out the function of the key switch positions (left, neutral, right) the position to the right is the position that activates all terminals, that gives me a place to start at least. Neutral isolates each terminal, but I'm not quite sure as to what the left position is for as of yet. So I installed the fuse block between the wiring connection from the battery to the key switch, then I ran wires from the tail light to the key switch with a jumper to the head light, from the tail light to the brake switch and from the brake switch to the key switch. Then I ran a red lead from the regulator to the fuse block. I still can't figure what the Brown lead coming from the regulator is for... I can't get the headlight to work with a direct lead, so I'm assuming it needs to be replaced. That will be tomorrow's project.

No comments: