Thursday, July 10, 2008

Carburetor cleaning...

I grabbed some carburetor cleaner on the way home tonight so I can tear down those carbs and clean them up real good just to make sure that's not the problem with keeping this girl purring like a kitten. I'm glad I decided to tackle this job because there was a mess of corrosion in the fuel bowl of the left carb, looks as if there was water sitting this bowl for quite a while allowing lime scale to build up and there was green corrosion on all the brass inside. So I took a wire bush and carb cleaner to it and she cleaned up very nice. I put them back on and the right carb just pissed out gas again as soon as I opened up the petcock, so off she came again and I took out he jet once again and sprayed more carb cleaner down her throat, put her back together and re-installed. This time it went back together with no leaks, no drips, no errors.

Then I finished mounting the front hinge for the seat. The springs tend to bend inward and rub on the tire, I'm not sure that I didn't move this pan back too far, but I'll play around with it for a while to come up with another solution. I also bent the base of the extension tabs to give the spring base more outward angle hoping to pull the spring away from the tire. This seems to work fairly well except for the fact that the extension keeps pivoting back towards the tire, I think I'll have to weld a spreader bar between the tabs to keep this off the tire.

But that's enough for the evening, 'til tomorrow.

No comments: