Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fair maidens inaugural voyage...

I couldn't wait to get home from work today, to take this baby for a spin.

It took me about a half hour of warming her up and working the clutch lever, and repeatedly popping her in gear before the clutch pack broke free. But once she was freed up we were down the road...

I road around the block to Mike's house and revved her up in the driveway for a few minutes to disturb the neighbors, but to no avail, he couldn't hear me over the stereo system boomin' in his boat as he's getting ready for "Quake on the Lake" this weekend. Since I couldn't get a rise out of him, I was on my way to get some road time in.

As I'm pulling into the driveway at home a few hours later the bike stalls, not thinking too much of it I just pushed her up the drive and grabbed the flat black paint to cover the plain pipe fabricated front highway pegs. A few more touch ups and I was headed out again when Mike finally crawled out of the hull of his boat and popped on over to pat me on the back. He was amazed that I actually completed this project without any hitches and had her on the road already. He didn't think I was going to have it all figured out without him, ha... I got tired of waiting and figured it out myself, the worst I could do was wasted a few wires and fuses...

Anyway, as he's standing there I'm trying to get the bike to fire up again and having no luck... The closest I can figure is I clogged up the right hand carb by forgetting to put an inline filter on that side, the left side has a clear inline filter and sure enough there was plenty of rust in it after I had just cleaned it out a few days ago.

Tomorrow nights project is to tear down that carb and clean out the inside again and this time I'll install the filter that's sitting there waiting to be put on...

No comments: